About the Wende Museum
“Wende” is a German word that means “transformation.” It is commonly used to describe the era of uncertainty and possibility leading up to and following the fall of the Berlin Wall. Headquartered in a renovated National Guard Armory in Culver City, the Wende Museum, a 501©3 nonprofit organization, is an experimental and forward-thinking institution that pairs unparalleled collections from the Cold War era with contemporary artists, filmmakers, musicians, scholars, and others. With a commitment to both international scholarship and local community engagement, the Wende offers wide-ranging programs, from lectures and research access to free yoga classes and art activities for all ages. We are looking for a confident, adaptable, detail-oriented Visitor Engagement and Education Manager who can proactively lead the daily operations of our outstanding VE&E team, and who has a strong passion for visitor services and education.
The Visitor Engagement and Education Manager plays a key role in making the overall museum experience, from gallery visits and tours to ongoing education programming and events, positive and thought-provoking for all museum stakeholders. As the head of Education, the VE&E Manager unites engagement and education and takes the museum’s growing VE&E initiative into its exciting next phase. This is a supervisory position with high inter-departmental exposure and reports to the Gallery and Special Projects Manager.
This position requires the flexibility to work a Wednesday through Sunday week, including some evenings, to support ongoing programming, the museum’s public open days (Fri-Sun), and events. While days and hours may vary from week to week, an average workweek of 40 hours is expected.
Competitive salary, with medical/dental/vision benefits and paid vacation and holidays
The full-time position is available October 2019
● Manage and supervise a team of seven VE&E Associates and Leads
● Oversee daily visitor engagement operations including opening and closing procedures
● Schedule rolling monthly VE&E Associate and Lead shifts
● Coordinate hospitality for special visits and internal meetings with Development Associate
● Coordinate event execution with Event Lead under the leadership of the Gallery and Special Projects Manager
● Produce monthly visitor engagement data reports
● Manage major educational initiatives
● Develop and update the education curriculum and set department goals
● Supervise the Education Lead (who gives school tours, leads workshops, et.c)
● Oversee high school and volunteer program in partnership with Education Lead
● Develop tour trainings and plan exhibition-specific education programming with Education Lead
● Manage education schedule and coordinate public, private and educational tours (e.g., school field trips)
● Manage gift shop operations and supervise Gift Shop Lead
● Stock and order exhibition-related and evergreen inventory
● Manage inventory in partnership with Gift Shop Lead and VE&E Associates
● Responsive and resourceful problem solver
● Highly organized and detail-oriented
● Able to multitask a wide variety of activities, prioritizing conflicting needs
● Proactive self-starter able to follow projects through to completion
● Able to work under pressure and meet deadlines
● Able to work effectively independently and also as a positive team player
● Demonstrates emotional maturity and strong interpersonal skills
Skills and Experience
● Minimum of 2 years experience in front of house management in an arts organization, or similar
● Minimum 2 years experience in education-related field
● Team management experience
● Hospitality, event and retail experience
● Non-profit experience
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Strong computer skills. Advanced expertise in Microsoft Office Suite
● Experience working in Altru or other advanced CRM systems a plus
Valid California Driver’s License and reliable automobile with insurance coverage for use on the job.
How to Apply
The Wende Museum is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. People of color and members of the LGBTQ+ community are strongly encouraged to apply.
Submit a resume and brief cover letter in a single PDF attachment with the subject line “Visitor Engagement and Education Manager” to email@example.com