NEW INC is the world’s first museum-led incubator, and a program of the New Museum, co-founded in 2013 by Lisa Phillips, Toby Devan Lewis Director, and Karen Wong, Deputy Director of the New Museum. NEW INC is a not-for-profit platform that furthers the Museum’s ongoing commitment to new art and new ideas. Entering our sixth year, we currently support 100 members working at the intersection of art, design and technology—50% of whom are women, and 50% are PoC. Member participation in the program includes either a dedicated desk or swing desk, enrollment in our professional development program and access to our rich mentor and alumni network.
Reporting to the Director of Strategic Operations, the Program Coordinator is responsible for providing hands on support to the NEW INC team, and our members to deliver NEW INC’s annual program to our community of 100 members working at the intersection of art, design and technology. The NEW INC program consists of three main pillars: office space, professional development, and mentorship. This is a community-focused position with a strong focus on event production, operations and administration, and customer service. This is a key role in supportive planning on major public events, and leads planning and production for smaller, internal events for our member community. The Program Coordinator is responsible for the creation, maintenance, and oversight of NEW INC as a creative, productive working environment and takes ownership over the needs of the community and staff within that space. The Program Coordinator is NEW INC’s heartbeat, and the ideal candidate is driven, passionate, personable, and never misses a beat.
This is a full time position with regular working hours of 40hrs per week, Monday to Friday, 10:00 am - 6:00 pm. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required for special events. This position is a union-represented position subject to terms of the Museum’s agreement with Local 2110, UAW, and is eligible for the New Museum’s employee benefits programs.
Operations & Admin
● Actively lead cross-team general admin duties in support of the NEW INC team and NEW INC program offering including team calendaring; meeting minutes, filing, data entry, meeting room bookings, space holds and coordination.
● Own the aesthetic of the NEW INC space, keeping it clean and tidy, watering the plants, ensuring coffee is brewed, and keeping office and kitchen supplies stocked and ordered.
● Support the team in on-boarding and off-boarding our members including everything from document generation, sharing, and collection to database management, and software and systems accessibility, to financial tracking and data collection for reporting.
● Manage ongoing maintenance of our software platforms and systems and support our members in the use and access of these systems.
● Manage, process, and track invoices, payments, check requests, and purchases for NEW INC’s operation, maintaining accurate financial records.
● Execute monthly financial admin including reconciling monthly expense reports, purchasing office supplies, ordering catering and consumables for the space on an as needed basis.
● Support the team in execution of program-related content for the promotion and communication of events both internal and public including compiling and mocking up digital content for events and programs in Mailchimp, setting up Eventbrite pages, drafting content and assets in Keynote, and other digital platforms as requested.
● Support the team in ongoing management and maintenance of NEW INC’s Squarespace including asset and content collection, storage, and filing; back-end page updates and light template and style editing; and light copy editing.
● Play an active role in supporting on cross-team workflows on digital and project management platforms including but not limited to GSuite, Nexudus, Slack, and Asana.
● Be on the front lines of NEW INC, available at our front desk during office hours to provide front line support for our members, including being available to answer their questions, and assist in providing the resources or support they need on both a daily and long-term basis.
● Manage guest access and deliveries, answering our doorbell, and managing our guest sign in process including keeping track of approved collaborators, and managing access to the space in collaboration with the NEW INC team.
● Manage all incoming mail sorting, distribution, and alerts.
● Manage and distribute member access to NEW INC resources such as equipment rentals, locker assignments, and providing support on digital access to conference rooms, and other bookable resources.
● Lead planning and execution of internal events owning all aspects of production from ordering to set up and pack down, ensuring they are executed seamlessly throughout. Events include but are not limited to: weekly happy hours, check in sessions, space rentals and one-off gatherings and events.
● Act as the Director of Strategic Operations’ right hand in the planning and production of major and public events, leading all details including meeting planning, securing of venues and vendors, ROS, LoAs, budgets, catering.
● You have 2-4 years relevant professional experience in a similar role as a program manager, office manager, studio manager, producer, project manager, or production assistant.
● Must have experience/background in customer service and/or client facing work, and be willing to provide friendly, informed support to our members, staff, and alumni on a daily basis.
● Must be energized by people, and passionate about community. You are a people person and are energized by working with a large and every changing creative community.
● Exceptional organizational skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects while simultaneously interfacing with our member community.
● Exceptional communicator, with impeccable attention to detail.
● Demonstrated experience leading all aspects of event production.
● Demonstrated fluency and experience with G Suite, in particular Google Sheets/Excel is essential. Must be able to build spreadsheets and basic formulas from scratch.
● Proven experience with digital project management workflows and software as well as a familiarity with Slack and Asana (or comparable project management software) is essential.
● Demonstrated experience with digital marketing tools such as Mailchimp and Squarespace (or comparable) is essential.
● Fluency with Adobe Creative Suite and experience with graphic design, layouts, and photo editing is highly desirable.
● General fluency with software and hardware or a willingness to learn is required.
● Comfortable and confident in taking autonomous ownership over tasks within your purview and are always anticipating the next move, striving to improve systems and processes at every turn.
● You love processes, planning, and keeping yourself and everyone else on track.
● You are a doer and a problem-solver. When presented with a challenge, you take a positive approach to overcoming it and work collaboratively towards a solution.
● Are scrappy, and can get things done on your own or in collaboration with a small team with limited resources.
● Are passionate about your work, and are constantly seeking to be better at what you do.
● Can lift at least 25 lbs. and are comfortable with occasional physical labor.
Interested candidates should apply by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with Program Coordinator in the subject line. Please submit a cover letter and CV as a single PDF.
No phone calls or solicitations please. Due to the volume of applications anticipated, only those candidates that most directly meet the requirements of the position will be contacted.