A vital member of SITE Santa Fe, the Registrar and Curatorial Assistant supports the Exhibition Manager with logistics associated with exhibition programming at SITE Santa Fe including the loan, transport, care and installation of all artworks presented in SITE’s exhibitions. The Registrar and Curatorial Assistant also supports the Curator with exhibition research, organization, administration, planning, and acts as an additional liaison for visiting artists and curators. This person also interfaces with other departments regarding programmatic decision-making as it relates to the care and safety of artwork. The Registrar reports to the Exhibitions Manager and Curator, and works closely with the preparator crew and Facility Manager.
SITE Santa Fe (“SITE”) is a non-profit contemporary arts organization based in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Since its founding in 1995, SITE Santa Fe has presented 11 biennials, more than 90 contemporary art exhibitions, and works by hundreds of emerging and established artists from around the world. SITE also presents public and educational programs that include conversations with artists and curators, film screenings, performances, concerts, hands-on workshops, and collaborations with Santa Fe Public Schools.
SITE Santa Fe is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, gender, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
● Administers and tracks all exhibition loan forms and artist contracts.
● Administers all aspects of incoming and outgoing shipping, including negotiating terms and logistical arrangements, securing adequate insurance coverage for the artwork, and tracking artworks en-route as necessary, and works closely with the Exhibition Manager to ensure shipments remain on schedule and within the budget.
● Manage incoming and outgoing receipts for artwork. Supervise the unpacking and packing of all exhibition works. Maintain complete and accurate documentation of condition reports for all works of art entering and leaving the museum, as well as during the course of the exhibition.
● Help communicate, guide, and consult with the Exhibitions Staff on the condition of artworks during installation.
● Oversees the routine monitoring and maintenance of the condition, presentation, and appearance of the exhibition including tracking data logger readings, assuring acceptable climate conditions for artworks and general exhibition maintenance.
● Incorporate DEAI values, practices and initiatives into displays, documents, protocols and procedures related to exhibitions, visiting artists, curators and performers.
● Maintain inventory of the artworks in our vault and records pertinent to artwork sales.
● Works closely with the Exhibition Manager and Preparator Crew to ensure the safe handling, storage and installation of artwork in SITE Santa Fe’s care.
● In conjunction with the Exhibition Manager, responsible for keeping SITE’s AAM Facility Report current.
● Maintain an active Integrated Pest Management System with the Facility Manager.
● Work with the Facility Manager on SITE’s emergency action plan as it relates to the artworks.
● Compilation and documentation of RH (relative humidity) and temperature readings in climate-controlled galleries on a monthly basis.
● Conduct research on current and future exhibitions.
● Support the Curator in administrative tasks and responsibilities.
● Manages artist and visiting curator travel and accommodations, including arranging the payments including artist honoraria and per diem.
● Assists with hosting visiting artists/curators, including itineraries, transportation, and entertainment.
● Keeps track of past and present exhibiting artists and curators, and reviews and organizes exhibitions inquiries.
● Maintains exhibitions binders and organization of digital exhibitions archive.
● Assists with coordinating and scheduling photography documentation of exhibitions for promotional materials.
● Helps secure permissions and copyright clearance for images and various media.
● Secures ISBN numbers for each new SITE Santa Fe publication.
● Registers each new SITE Santa Fe publication with the Library of Congress.
● Assist the staff as needed with special events and institution-wide initiatives.
● Assists with cross-departmental initiatives such as SITE Scholars and Young Curator exhibitions.
At least 2 years of registration experience, including experience with the international shipping logistics and standard
Excellent organizational and analytical skills, and a strong attention to detail
Excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to communicate well
Ability to conduct effective research as it relates to artists and exhibitions
Knowledge of best practices registration and art care
Experience working with conservators, lighting technicians and other specialists
Ability to prioritize and manage time, multitask, take initiative, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment with rapidly shifting priorities.
Must be a self-starter and creative problem solver.
Ability to work collaboratively with staff and maintain a high degree of professionalism in a dynamic and creative setting.
Embrace SITE’s commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility.
A high degree of computer literacy and competency in the MS Office suite.