The Frick Collection is an art museum consisting of more than 1,400 works of art from the ninth to the nineteenth centuries, displayed in the intimate surroundings of the former home of Pittsburgh industrialist Henry Clay Frick. The residence is one of New York City’s few remaining Gilded Age mansions. The Collection with its furnishings and works of art has been open to the public since 1935, and has continued to acquire works of art since Mr. Frick’s death. Adjacent to the museum is The Frick Art Reference Library, an internationally-recognized research library that serves as one of the most complete resources for the study of Western art. Founded in 1920 by Helen Clay Frick as a memorial to her father, the Library today holds more than one million study photographs, 285,000 books, 80,000 auction catalogs, and 2,250 periodical titles. Today it is one of the leading institutions for research in the fields of art history and collecting and is open to interested individuals from all over the world.
Along with special exhibitions and an acclaimed concert series, the Frick offers a wide range of lectures, symposia, and education programs that foster a deeper appreciation of its permanent collection.